Wednesday, August 6, 2008

August 3rd Report - San Angelo S.P.


A truly miserable day in the blind. Really, it's been a long week. Was in North Texas earlier in the week attending to some family medical issues (all went well, but still...). Got back late Friday and had a lengthy honey-do to knock out Saturday morning. Light couldn't have been better, but obligations are obligations.

Sunday morning, however, stunk for light. No clouds and very bright sunshine. I shot a couple hundred images over three hours, but when I got them home I found I had about 10 that were worth looking at further, and at that it will be an extensive amount of time in Photoshop to make them right.

No laundry list, but some basic impressions: Species count was way down. No woodpeckers of any type. 2 or 3 Cowbirds (and no Bronzed). Hummingbird activity is still good and I saw my first Rufous Hummingbird (though my image is pretty bad--wrong side of the light). A single Northern Bobwhite Quail made it in. The baby Titmice seem to have either grown up or gone elsewhere because all I saw were adult-looking and -behaving birds. Good mix of Mourning and White-Winged Doves and there were a few cooperative Red-Winged Blackbirds.

A bad day shooting is better than a good day doing just about anything else, but I'd rather have a good day of shooting than a bad one...

Image: White-Winged Dove, San Angelo S.P., (c) 2008 Jim Miller

No comments: