Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 7th/8th Report - San Angelo S.P.

Northern Bobwhite Quail (Male), San Angelo S.P., (c) 2008 Jim Miller
Good couple of mornings in the blind. After having me home for a few days taking care of some family business, my spouse finally told me that I needed to get out of the house for a few hours. So I obliged her on Wednesday and Thursday.

Overcast skies on Wednesday made for ideal conditions though bird population was slow. Partly cloudy skies on Thursday made the light more difficult but upped the number of birds and there were enough opportunities where the light diffused out behind the clouds that I was happy.

Noticeably missing again were all species of cowbirds. Based on my images from last year, we had Brown-Headed Cowbirds as late as September last year, so I'm at a loss to explain why they have disappeared so quickly this year. I'm not necessarily complaining, I'm just reporting the news.

I will again not give the laundry list. Except for the cowbirds, all the other usual suspects were around.
  • Sparrow traffic seems to be picking up.
  • White-Winged Doves still outnumber Mourning Doves in the AM hours.
  • No wrens and no Ladder-Backed Woodpecker.
  • Saw a Golden-Fronted Woodpecker on Thursday.
  • Northern Bobwhite Quails were out both days, with a single Male out on Wednesday and a mating pair on Thursday. Thursday's birds were very good photo subjects.
  • A Greater Roadrunner made multiple trips into the blind, both before I arrived and a couple of times while I was present.
Image: Northern Bobwhite Quail (Male), San Angelo S.P., (c) 2008 Jim Miller

No comments: