Sunday, July 27, 2008

July 27th Report - San Angelo S.P.

Quiet morning in the blind. Most of the usual suspects but a couple of extras...


Species List
Black-chinned Hummingbird (Female)
Black crested Titmouse (Adults & Juveniles)
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bullock's Oriole (Juvenile)
Curve-billed Thrasher
Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Juvenile Male)
House Finch
House Sparrow
Ladder-Backed Woodpecker (Male)
Mourning Dove
Northern Bobwhite Quail (Mating Pair)
Northern Cardinal (2 Mating Pairs and Juveniles)
Northern Mockingbird
Painted Bunting (Male)
Pyrrhuloxia (Male)
Red-Winged Blackbird
White-Winged Dove
Yellow-Billed Cuckoo
Turkey Vulture (Overhead)

I was kicking myself this morning. The light yesterday was incredible but I had made a previous commitment to do something with Concho Valley Photography Club that, while was photographic, did not involve taking pictures. It was still a great morning and I very much enjoyed the company and the task that we were working, but the promise of nice soft morning light was awful tempting.

This morning was bright, sunny, and hot. The triad of what could be a miserable morning in the blind. After my initial bounce through I had approximately 1 out of 20 shots that I wanted to look at later. With yesterdays light my guess is the number would have been closer to 1 in 10. Life is what happens when you're making other plans.
  • Northern Cardinals were in full force this morning.
  • Hummingbird activity is dropping a little bit, but I had one female Black-chinned perch on "A" tree for about 5 minutes. Must of have been a busy morning for her
  • Brown-headed cowbird activity was down significantly
  • Good to see the Pyrhhuloxia in the blind this morning. Photographs definitely point towards a male, though it might be a juvenile
  • Painted bunting was awful nice to see. Standard behavior--went to the water, drank some, and then took off.
  • Bobwhite Quails didn't show up until I got ready to get up and leave. Really I had left but I remembered I had left a water bottle in the blind. As I walked back in I noticed that they had shown up. Very depressing, but given the light conditions and the time of day, it really didn't make that much difference.
All in all, it was still a good morning, but...

Image: Black-Chinned Hummingbird (Female), San Angelo S.P., (c) 2008 Jim Miller

No comments: